Sometimes some of nonmuslims asked why Islam forbid so many things that they used to do and like. They found those things to be fun and accused muslims as irrational. But if we take a look again, every single thing that is forbidden by Islam has some SCIENTIFIC reasons behind it, not just simply a blind order. How so? Check these top 5 things that are forbidden by Islam and their scientific explanations!
Intoxicants were forbidden in the Qur’an through several separate verses revealed at different times over a period of years. At first, it was forbidden for Muslims to attend to prayers while intoxicated (4:43). Then a later verse was revealed which said that alcohol contains some good and some evil, but the evil is greater than the good (2:219). This was the next step in turning people away from consumption of it. Finally, “intoxicants and games of chance” were called “abominations of Satan’s handiwork,” intended to turn people away from God and forget about prayer, and Muslims were ordered to abstain (5:90-91). (Note – the Qur’an is not arranged chronologically, so later verses of the book were not necessarily revealed after earlier verses.)
In the first verse cited above, the word for “intoxicated” is sukara which is derived from the word “sugar” and means drunk or intoxicated. That verse doesn’t mention the drink which makes one so. In the next verses cited, the word which is often translated as “wine” or “intoxicants” is al-khamr, which is related to the verb “to ferment.” This word could be used to describe other intoxicants such as beer, although wine is the most common understanding of the word.
Muslims interpret these verses in total to forbid any intoxicating substance — whether it be wine, beer, gin, whiskey, or whatever. The result is the same, and the Qur’an outlines that it is the intoxication, which makes one forgetful of God and prayer, which is harmful. Over the years, the list of intoxicating substances has come to include more modern street drugs and the like.
The Prophet Muhammad also instructed his followers, at the time, to avoid any intoxicating substances — (paraphrased) “if it intoxicates in a large amount, it is forbidden even in a small amount.” For this reason, most observant Muslims avoid alcohol in any form, even small amounts that are sometimes used in cooking.
In scientific field, almost most people on earth knew that alcohol is bad for health. Here’s how alcohol can affect your body:
- Slurred speech
- Upset stomach
- Breathing difficulties
- Distorted vision and hearing
- Impaired judgment
- Decreased perception and coordination
- Anemia (loss of red blood cells)
- Blackouts (memory lapses, where the drinker cannot remember events that occurred while under the influence)
Alcohol interferes with the brain’s communication pathways, and can affect the way the brain looks and works. These disruptions can change mood and behavior, and make it harder to think clearly and move with coordination.
Drinking can damage the heart, causing problems including:
- Cardiomyopathy – Stretching and drooping of heart muscle
- Arrhythmias – Irregular heart beat
- High blood pressure
Heavy drinking takes a toll on the liver, and can lead to a variety of problems and liver inflammations including:
- Steatosis, or fatty liver
- Alcoholic hepatitis
Alcohol causes the pancreas to produce toxic substances that can eventually lead to pancreatitis, a dangerous inflammation and swelling of the blood vessels in the pancreas that prevents proper digestion.
Drinking can increase your risk of developing certain cancers, including cancers of the:
Drinking can weaken your immune system, making your body a much easier target for disease. Drinking a lot on a single occasion slows your body’s ability to ward off infections – even up to 24 hours after getting drunk
Consumption of pork and products made from pork is strictly forbidden in Islam. The origin of this prohibition is in Surat al-Baqarah:
He has only forbidden you what dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that over which any other (name) than (that of) Allah has been invoked; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring, nor exceeding the limit, no sin shall be upon him; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
— Qurʼan, Sura 2 (Al-Baqara), ayat 173
In scientific area, it is proven that pork contains some dangers towards human’s health. The pork and swine industry has been continually plagued, and continues to be so to this day, by a wide variety of hazardous infections and diseases, including:
- PRRS — A horrendous disease, which I first reported on in 2001, but which had been a nightmare for many nations since the mid-1980s, is still alive and kicking today. At one point referred to as “swine mystery disease,” “blue abortion,” and “swine infertility,” the disease was finally named “Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome” (PRRS), and may afflict about 75 percent of American pig herds.
The PRRS virus primarily attacks the pig’s immune system, leaving its body open to a host of infections, particularly in the lungs. Initial research revealed that the virus was transmitted via semen, saliva and blood, leaving pigs herded closely together and transported in close quarters by trucks more susceptible to infection. However, according to research presented at the 2007 International PRRS Symposium, the disease is also airborne, making eradication efforts very difficult.
- The Nipah Virus – Discovered in 1999, the Nipah virus has caused disease in both animals and humans, through contact with infected animals. In humans, the virus can lead to deadly encephalitis (an acute inflammation of your brain). I originally reported on this virus in 2000, but according to CDC data, the Nipah virus reemerged again in 2004.
- Porcine Endogenous Retrovirus (PERV) – According to a study in the journal Lancet, this virus can spread to people receiving pig organ transplants, and according to test tube studies, PERV strains do have the ability to infect human cells. PERV genes are scattered throughout pigs’ genetic material, and researchers have found that pig heart, spleen and kidney cells release various strains of the virus.
- Menangle Virus – In 1998, it was reported that a new virus infecting pigs was able to jump to humans. The menangle virus was discovered in August 1997 when sows at an Australian piggery began giving birth to deformed and mummified piglets.
- Trichinosis – Pronounced As: trikinosis or trichiniasis trikinisis, parasitic disease caused by the roundworm Trichinella spiralis. It follows the eating of raw or inadequately cooked meat, especially pork. The larvae are released, reach maturity, and mate in the intestines, the females producing live larvae. The parasites are then carried from the gastrointestinal tract by the bloodstream to various muscles, where they become encysted. It is estimated that 10% to 20% of the adult population of the United States suffers from trichinosis at some time. In many people the disease exhibits no symptoms and is discovered only at autopsy. In others it causes diarrhea and other gastrointestinal symptoms as the worms multiply in the digestive tract. When the larvae circulate through the bloodstream, the patient experiences edema, irregular fever, profuse sweating, muscle soreness and pain, and prostration. There may be involvement of the central nervous system, heart, and lungs; death occurs in about 5% of clinical cases. Once the larvae have imbedded themselves in the muscle tissue, the cysts usually become calcified; however, the infestation usually causes no further symptoms except fatigue and vague muscular pains. There is no specific treatment.
- Pigs eat dung
Pigs eat ANYTHING even their own dung! You are what you eat! So do you still want to eat something that eat feces? Eeew...
3. FREE SEX
Islam prohibits free-mixing between men and women. As a complete way of life, Islam has not failed to address the matter. Various scholars of Islam have formulated their opinions on this matter and acknowledged the practice of free-mixing as a crime punishable under Shari’ah laws. All of the Jurists have sourced their views from the Qur’an and the Sunnah of the prophet, using these as the basis of their argument. Islamic scholars are unanimous on this matter because the prophet of Islam left behind his words: “I have not left behind me any temptation more harmful for men than women”. Thus, it is clear that free sex is forbidden in Islam.
But people nowadays, especially in western, is enjoying having free sex. Free sex has became a part of life style. Having a child out of wedlock is no shame anymore. They even invented “one night stand”. They think that Islamic law to forbid free sex is not fun. The idea of free sex now becomes popular too amongst teenagers. But do they know that this law actually has a scientific reason?
First, pregnant before marriage is the common effects of free-sex. Most of the people who do free sex do not ready to get baby in their age and their status. This problem will address them to do abortion. Abortion will threat their life.
The explanation and scientific reason can be found in my other post here.
Islam forbid gambling, as can be seen in Surah Al-Baqarah in Quran.
[Quran 2:219-220] They ask you about intoxicants and gambling: say, “In them there is a gross sin, and some benefits for the people. But their sinfulness far outweighs their benefit.” They also ask you what to give to charity: say, “The excess.” GOD thus clarifies the revelations for you, that you may reflect, upon this life and the Hereafter …
*2:219 The world now recognizes that the economic benefits from manufacturing alcoholic beverages and illicit drugs are not worth the traffic fatalities, brain damage to children of alcoholic mothers, family crises, and other disastrous consequences.
[Quran 5:90-91] O you who believe, intoxicants, and gambling, and the altars of idols, and the games of chance are abominations of the devil; you shall avoid them, that you may succeed. The devil wants to provoke animosity and hatred among you through intoxicants and gambling, and to distract you from remembering GOD, and from observing the Contact Prayers (Salat). Will you then refrain?
Chapter 5 verse 90 and 91 are very strong injunctions against lottery, gambling and games of chance in Islam. What is the scientific reason behind this?
In some cases, gambling can become a problematic behavior causing many difficulties. This type of compulsive behavior is often called “problem gambling”. It is typically a progressive addiction that can have many negative psychological, physical and social repercussions.
Problem gambling is harmful to psychological and physical health. People dealing with this addiction can suffer from depression, migraine, distress, intestinal disorders and other anxiety related problems. Ultimately, severe problem gambling can lead to suicide. The rate of problem gambling has risen globally over the last few years.
Because of its harmful consequences, problem gambling has become a significant public health concern in many countries.
Problem gambling can become a progressive addiction. Some of the signs and symptoms can include:
- craving for gaming
- feelings of remorse after gambling
- gambler feels the need to bet more money more frequently
- in spite of escalating losses, the person continues to gamble believing they will recuperate losses
- increasing financial debt (using income and savings for gambling, borrowing money, resort to gambling to meet financial obligations..)
- loss of control
- loss of sleep
- person persists in gambling behavior in spite of growing, severe, negative consequences
- repetitive unsuccessful attempts to stop gambling
- rising obsession with gambling
- stress related problems (migraines, intestinal disorders..)
- when attempting to refrain from gambling, the person becomes restless or irritable
Economy Effect of Gambling
Where is this money coming from? The money being lost is truly lost, by the gambler and to the general economy as well. In America, with gasoline prices at nearly $3 per gallon, housing costs rising, and pension plans in jeopardy, the casino cash machine will either run out of gas or turn to even more desperate forms of marketing addictions.
What is inevitable is Ohio casinos will be in competition with Cedar Point, Kings Island, the Browns, Bengals, the Buckeyes, the Indians and the Reds, the Cavs and the Blue Jackets. The entertainment and restaurant business, retail and real estate, movie theatres and the most upscale malls, all Ohio businesses will be in competition with the casino industry. An industry that teaches people to throw money away – just for fun.
Visit the Mountaineer Casino outside Newell, West Virginia and look at the evidence. One of the only new businesses the casino brought into the community was a strip club, which was closed due to a fire. Hancock County, home of the Mountaineer Casino has an unemployment rate nearly 50% higher than the state average.
Or visit Detroit, Michigan where three new casinos promised to renew the downtown area. Casinos came to town but lay-offs continued. The casino lights burn brightly but people still desperately struggle to pay their utility bills in a city named the “poorest city in America” in 2004.
What is inevitable, is casinos are a great deal for the people who own them. Everyone else gets a tip at best. These small percentage cuts from the take will hardly deal with the infrastructure costs, increased crime, court costs, and lost revenue from local casinos. Because no future state or local taxes can be levied upon the casinos proceeds, communities can expect no help from casino revenues for local schools or urgent community needs.
Family Effect of Gambling
Legal professor I. Nelson Rose describes Dr. Rachel Volberg as “the leading expert” on compulsive gambling in America. Dr. Volberg considers 18-21 year olds three times more likely to have problems with gambling. Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, director of the Harvard Medical School for Gambling Addictions states: “Today, there are more children experiencing adverse symptoms from gambling than from drugs… and the problem is growing.”
In 2005 a major study was released from Cleveland State University, paid for by casino backers. This study made no attempt to hide the frightening reality that opening statewide casinos in Ohio would result in the serious addiction of at least 109,000 Ohioans.
109,000 individuals unable to control their lives and resist the urge to gamble away everything.
109,000 homes where a mom or dad or teenager is at risk of losing everything they own and destroying their family.
109,000 thousand lives destroyed, families destroyed, households and businesses destroyed, futures destroyed.
Gambling addictions in America are rising at an alarming rate. The National Council on Problem Gambling recently acknowledged the old estimate of one-percent of the population being hooked is no longer valid. They project the number is now closer to four to five percent of the population at risk.
Gambling addictions are among the most destructive of all addictions. The National Gambling Impact Study, commissioned by the Congress of the United States, reveals gambling addictions lead to increased risks of serious health problems, unemployment, divorce, bankruptcy and jail time.
So, gambling is not only bad for health but also for economy and family life.
From these samples of top 5 things that are forbidden by Islam, you can see that Islam did not order its followers to neglect some things at will, but because they have negative impacts for human even proved by science. The question is how can Quran mention some dangerous things and forbid them 1400 years ago, while at that time, all of these scientific reasons were not exist? The answer is because it came directly from Allah, the Almighty God, whose knowledge covers all. Do you still doubt it after this?